I like to believe that our skin has a mind of its own. We can go a couple days with the most glowing perfect skin fooling us to think that we have finally found the perfect skin care regime and then it just goes downhill from there. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone through this treacherous cycle time and time again. In the past week or two I have noticed my skin starting to flare up and become susceptible to tiny little red bumps (like small acne) that forms over the course of the day then be gone in a day or two. What I need is to give my skin a little break from all the different chemicals that we use in our cleanser, moisturizer, toner, makeup, etc. to give my skin a little detox I use this scrub that only has one ingredient and is so inexpensive but works wonders for irritated skin. I present to you…Oats!
Oats or Oatmeal will make your skin feel so moisturized and soft after you use it. There are so many different uses that it makes this a Chameleon of Skin Care products in my opinion. You can use it as a face/body mask, scrub, bath, consumption, sun protection, etc. What we will be talking about today is using it as a Face Wash/Scrub.
The first time I used Oats to wash my face was after a bad trip to a facial that left my skin with a very weird bumpiness to it about 2 years ago. My skin was definitely reacting to whatever products that was used on me so I decided to do some research and found that Oats has anti-inflammatory benefits. It calms the skin and can also relieve itchiness. For those that have eczema you can use Oats as a body scrub or even take an Oatmeal Bath to relieve your skin (i haven’t tried this because I don’t have eczema). After using the Oats to wash my face it feels instantly better and plumped. After a week or so of doing this my skin went back to normal and was better than ever. I recommend you to try using Oats to wash your face because there are numerous benefits…
2. Relieves Itchiness / Irritation
4. Cleanses by soaking up Oils and dirt from your skin
5. Phenols and Flavonoid in oats acts as sun protection for the skin
How to Use it…
1. You only need a pinch of oats. You can use pretty much any Oats that you would cook with. (not the instant individually packaged ones though)
2. Place it in the palm of your hand and add water onto the oats.
3. Press on the oats a couple times until the water starts to get murky from the oats breaking down.
4. Wet your face with the Oat water then just grab the wet oats and start using it as a face scrub. You will start to notice the oat breaking down even more as you scrub and the “juice” from the oat will almost form a sort of lather on our skin. After you’re done, rinse. (this does get a little messy so its best if you have a faucet catcher thing to filter the oats when you wash it off. If you don’t then wipe off the oats before your rinse your face)
Whether you’re suffering from major skin irritation or have perfectly fine skin, you should try this at least once just to see how well it works. Every time my skin starts acting up I will resort to this solution almost as a Restart button. If you have tried this then please let me know how it worked out for you because I would love to know if your skin loves it as much as mine.
Until next time,